The MASH News

The Student News Site of Mauro Sheridan Interdistrict Magnet School

The MASH News

The MASH News

MASH staff at Dayton Street Apizza.
AFTER-SCHOOL PIZZA !
January 21, 2024
Create a custom header
Create a custom header
September 13, 2023

Should Kids Have Cell Phones in School?

Eden Edwards is a student in 6th grade who believes that we should be allowed to use our cell phones during school hours.

“We should have cellphones in school because if something happens someone will know,” Eden said For example, if you have a private emergency, like someone hurts your feelings and you don’t want to get the teachers involved, you can just call your mom on your cell phone.

“I think cellphones in school are a distraction and should be put away or left home. If they’re found out, I think a parent should have to come and pick it up,” said Ms. Amanda Moreno, a paraprofessional.

“I think cell phones are a distraction,” said Coach Cartwright, a gym teacher. “I wish schools could block service so even if kids bring them, they won’t work.”

Mr. Rich Vancil, a volunteer in journalism says students SHOULD be able to have cell phones in school. “Students should hide them in their backpacks so that if something bad happens, they can let their parents know, or if they get sick, they can let their parents know so that their parents can take them home and they can feel better,” he said.

Cell phones are not supposed to be used during school and should remain in kids’ backpacks, said Mr. Slusky, who teaches 7th grade English.  Cell phones could be useful if we found a way to make them a useful tool for teaching and learning. But right now, they are too distracting, Mr. Slusky said.

Are cell phones a problem at Mauro-Sheridan?  “Cell phones could be useful if we found a way to make them useful for teaching and learning, but right now they are too distracting,” said Mr. Slusky. “Most of our students try to follow the rules, but social media is so tempting that sometimes it’s difficult for the students to do the right thing and turn off their phones.”